CAPE TOWN – These are the Coronavirus stories you need to know today :
1) In an address to the nation on Monday evening, President Cyril Ramaphosa launched a mass screening and testing programme which involves over 10 000 healthcare workers.The teams would visit homes to screen and test citizens for Covid-19, and those with severe symptoms will be referred to hospitals.
2) South Africa has a third confirmed death due to the coronavirus and 1326 confirmed Covid-19 cases.
3) With over 777 026 confirmed Covid-19 cases and at least 37 561 deaths, the pandemic has placed a strain on health systems worldwide.To help countries navigate through these challenges, the World Health Organisation (WHO) updated operational planning guidelines to help maintain essential health service delivery.
4) A number of call centre businesses remained open during the 21-day national lockdown period, claiming they are an essential service.Despite being offered a 50% increase to work during this critical time, employees feel their well-being is not being taken seriously.
5) Monday was the first day of early payments of grants which left long queues and overcrowding accross the country. Police minister Bheki Cele visited several pension pay points in Durban and Newcastle to ensure compliance with the social distancing rules, but he is not happy.
For LIVE updates on the Coronavirus pandemic, follow us on Twitter: @sacoronamonitor