CAPE TOWN – Despite new dates issued by the National Department of Basic Education, Western Cape MEC Debbie Schäfer is steadfast that schools in her province will be open to receive learners on Monday.
“In accordance with the Gazette promulgated last week by Minister Motshekga, schools are to return on June 1, 2020.
“We have been engaged in discussions at a national level over the weekend and were awaiting the Minister’s announcement that was scheduled for 6 pm. Given that this has now been postponed until tomorrow, we can no longer allow our schools to hover in a state of uncertainty,” said Schäfer.
The announcement by the Western Cape Education Department (WCED) followed a statement by the National Department of Basic Education to delay the reopening of schools to June 8.
According to the national department, there is a concern that in some provinces personal protective equipment for learners, in particular, had not been received.
However; WCED said PPEs required to welcome Grade 7 and 12 learners have been delivered.
“Learners have already begun to arrive at school hostels today, and parents have made preparations to take their children to school tomorrow morning. School staff and WCED officials have been working around the clock to ensure that all plans are in place to receive those learners on time.
Given these preparations, and the enormous effort put in by teachers and non-teaching staff alike, it would be unfair to delay all schools from reopening,” the statement said.
For LIVE updates on the Coronavirus pandemic, follow us on Twitter: @sacoronamonitor