CAPE TOWN – A multi-level threat alert system could be on the cards for South Africans as President Cyril Ramaphosa looks to strike a balance between economic and human survival.
A recent article details the level system of easing lockdown allegedly proposed by the government and circulating on social media. Ramaphosa is set to address the nation on Thursday evening to update South Africans on how government is looking to move forward in dealing with the pandemic.
This is what a multiple level lockdown in South Africa could look like :
- A high virus spread and low capacity for the health system to combat means only essential services will be permitted to operate.
- Bus and taxi services, e-hailing services like uber and private vehicles may only operate at restricted times.
- No movement will be permitted between provinces except for goods and exceptional circumstance – a funeral for example.
- With moderate to high virus spread and low to moderate health system capacity all essential services can. operate. In addition to supermarkets providing all products, all components of the agricultural sector, mining and forestry. As well as financial services, exports, communication services, and formal waste recycling services.
- Bus and taxi services, e-hailing services like uber and private vehicles may only operate at all times in the day
- No movement will be permitted between provinces except for goods and exceptional circumstance
- With moderate virus spread and moderate health system capacity; all public administration activities permitted, this includes licensing and permitting service, as well as deeds offices. Online food delivery and take-aways permitted. The sale of alcohol at specific times. The majority of retail activities and manufacturing permitted like electronics and clothing. Automative manufacturing, bottling, global business services, Transnet, SANRAL and including level 4 businesses
- Bus and taxi services, e-hailing services like uber and private vehicles may only operate at all times in the day. Limited passenger rail will be permitted along with domestic airt travel. Strict health protocols will be implemented along with this.
- With moderate virus spread and high capacity for the health system. All retail, manufacturing, mining, construction, government services will be permitted to operate. Along with domestic workers and informal waste pickers.
- Public transport will be permitted to operate in its entirety, along with car rental services and domestic air travel
- Moving between provinces at level 1 and 2 are allowed.
- With low virus spread and therefore high capacity for the health system to combat, all sectors of business are allowed to operate.
- All modes of transport
- All movement between provinces are permitted with restrictions on international travel