CAPE TOWN- The Coronavirus pandemic is creating an information overload, so we’ve decided to make things easier for you – Here are five stories you might have missed today:
1) Minister Jackson Mthembu announced on behalf of Health Minister Zweli Mkhize that South Africa has 1 170 confirmed Coronavirus cases. READ MORE: SA HITS 1170 CORONAVIRUS CASES
2) Minister Mkhize announced that South Africa recorded its first two deaths due to the Coronavirus.
“This morning, we wake South Africans up with sad news that we now have our first deaths resulting from COVID-19. These two deaths occurred in the Western Cape,” said Mkhize. READ MORE: FIRST 2 COVID 19 DEATHS IN SA – MKHIZE
3) More African countries will go into lockdown according to an expert from the World Health Organisation (WHO).
WHO Regional Director for Africa Dr. Matshidiso Moeti says that since South Africa has implemented a 21-day lockdown other neighbouring countries will begin to follow suit. WATCH: MORE AFRICAN COUNTRIES WILL GO INTO LOCKDOWN
4) South Africans woke up to their new reality for at least the next three weeks and only residents who work in the essential services sector and those who needed to do grocery shopping were allowed out on the street.
This is what Cape Town looked like on day one of the 21-day lockdown. #SALOCKDOWN : BEFORE AND AFTER PICTURES
5) Today was the first day of the 21-day National lockdown period and South Africans were instructed to stay home and only leave if necessary.
We’ve started a series to give you a glimpse of people ‘Living in Lockdown’ – WATCH: HOW SOUTH AFRICANS SPENT DAY 1
For LIVE updates on the Coronavirus pandemic, follow us on Twitter : @sacoronamonitor