CAPE TOWN- Health minister Zweli Mkhize said that while the forewarned Covid-19 storm has arrived in South Africa, there were also fewer people infected in May and June than was previously predicted even under the optimistic scenario.
Mkhize updated Parliament on Wednesday on the country’s Covid-19 response and its risk adjusted strategy.
South Africa recorded 10 144 new cases on Tuesday, taking the cumulative total to 215 855, while deaths are at 3 470. To date 48% or 103 934 of the confirmed cases have recovered.
While the Western Cape has the highest number of confirmed cases at 72 156, Mkhize said that the department suspects Gauteng to have the highest number, making it the epicentre. Currently Gauteng has 71 488, followed by the Eastern Cape on 40 401 cases and KwaZulu-Natal on 16 743 confirmed cases.
Mkhize said there are 139 quarantine facilities available across the country with a total of 12 532 beds.
Since the start of the outbreak, 4 821 Health Care Workers (HCWs) from both the public and private sector were reported to have been infected with the Covid-19 virus.
In anticipation of the peak, the Department of Health has begun implementing the Surge Strategy to increase the capacity to care for Covid-19 patients. The Department has already repurposed a total of 27 467 beds which will be increased to 40 309 beds as the provinces started to experience a sudden increase in the number of cases.
#ZweliMkhize: Model projections indicate that while the epidemic is predicted to peak nationally at a similar time to the previously projected optimistic curve (that is mid-August), it does so at a lower level.#Parliament08July
— Dr Zweli Mkhize (@DrZweliMkhize) July 8, 2020
For LIVE updates on the Coronavirus pandemic, follow us on Twitter : @sacoronamonitor