CAPE TOWN – The University of Cape Town announced it would be removing the National Benchmark Tests (NBTs) as a requirement for undergraduate admissions.
A statement released by the university on Sunday said: “Given the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the testing programme, the NBTs will not be part of the admission criteria to UCT in 2021.”
The university said, as a result, it is considering amendments to the current criteria and expects this to be finalised soon.
“Prospective students are advised to submit their study application without delay and to make sure that they include their Grade 11 final school results to be considered for an early conditional offer of admission,” the statement read.
Last week, the Department of Basic Education confirmed that schools would be reopening on Monday for grades 7 and 12.
Minister Angie Motshekga said she expected teaching to take place by Wednesday.
For LIVE updates on the Coronavirus pandemic, follow us on Twitter: @sacoronamonitor