CAPE TOWN – During the surge of the Coronavirus public hospitals were required to de-escalate all non-essential clinical services to focus on Covid-19. Some provinces have now started phasing in non-Covid-19 healthcare services.
The Western Cape health department says it will be resuming home-based care services. Home-based care is an essential service for patients who are bedridden and unable to attend their nearest healthcare facility.
With the reintroduction of services in a phased-in approach, the Community Health Workers in the Cape Metro will conduct home-based care once or sometimes twice a week, at a shorter time-frame during Covid-19, to provide wound dressing and care for patients who are unable to access a healthcare facility due to their health condition.
“It was not an easy decision to enter people’s homes during Covid-19, but our patients and community need us. For the safety of our patients and their families, we wear our personal protective equipment and sanitize our hands and gear before treating the patient and ensure that we provide the healthcare service and leave immediately when we have completed our care plan,” said Community Health Workers Ann Apollis.
Meanwhile, Gauteng acting health MEC Jacob Mamabolo announced on Sunday that the number of elective surgeries at the Chris Hani Baragwanath Academic Hospital in Soweto, Johannesburg, will be gradually increased.
This after the health department cancelled elective surgeries at the start of the national lockdown in March.
“Depending on the development of the Covid-19 pandemic, the facilities will be gradually increasing the number of surgeries, especially elective cases.”
He said in the last two weeks, 517 surgeries had been performed. The total number of elective cases that were deferred at Baragwanath hospital was 7,541.
For LIVE updates on the Coronavirus pandemic, follow us on Twitter: @sacoronamonitor