DURBAN – From May 1, many fast-food franchises around the country will reopen but drive-throughs, takeaways and sit-down eating remain prohibited.
This follows the national lockdown level being reduced to level four, which will see the easing of the extremely tight restrictions placed on the country over the last five weeks.
While many South Africans have expressed excitement. Unfortunately, not everyone will be able to get a serving from their favourite fast-food restaurant.
Several fast-food restaurants have indicated that they will not be re-opening on Friday. The Spur group announced earlier this month that it will not be reopening it’s 600 restaurants under ‘soft lockdown’. The company said it was hit hard financially by physical distancing rules even before lockdown as customers stayed away.
Restaurants which are yet to confirm when they will be reopening include; KFC, McDonald’s, Chicken Licken, Ocean Basket and Nando’s.
Burger King confirmed it will be back in operation as of May 6.
“Fellow South Africans, we are not yet able to confirm when we will be reopening our restaurants as we are seeking additional clarification from the National Council. We will announce that (here) as soon as we know when we can fire up our grills and bring PERi-PERi to the people,” said Nandos.
Restaurants that have confirmed they will be reopening on Friday (1 May) are:
- Steers will be reopened and there are three ways to get food delivered to you, via the Steers App, Mr D Food and Uber Eats.
- Debonairs will return for no-contact delivery.
- Rocomamas will be operating, though limited to areas where Uber Eats and Mr D Food have a footprint.
- Wimpy will be delivering a selection of favourites at selected restaurants.
- Fishaways will be reopening with no contact deliveries.
- Roman’s Pizza will be open for deliveries in selected areas.
- Mochachos will be delivering, but will provide further information on how and where.
- Pizza Perfect will be open for deliveries from Friday.
- Pizza Hut will be open for deliveries.
- Zebro’s will be reopened on Friday, the final list of selected stores still to be confirmed.
- Andiccio24 will be open for deliveries within a 5km radius of its stores. Orders can be placed online.
- Simply Asia will be operating.
For LIVE updates on the Coronavirus pandemic, follow us on Twitter : @sacoronamonitor